My research will seek answers to the meaning of today’s digital divide and how it affects people’s everyday life throughout the world. The recent development in Egypt has been referred by many as being fueled or enhanced by the new media, namely Facebook and Twitter. I would like to explore how the new media was used as a powerful tool to topple one of the most authoritarian governments in Middle East and how it is spreading like a wildfire to other neighboring countries. I would like to show the digital divide between those people with access to the new media compared to others with limited or no access at all. This divide is not just limited to one’s socio economic status such as the one between the affluent and the poor. It is also noticeable between individual’s different backgrounds like demographics, geographic location and social standings with in a society. I will research current news articles from periodicals and blogs to obtain most up-to-date information.
Its amazing how powerful a social networking site can become this era. I had no idea facebook was being used as a political or campaigning fashion. Spreading media and ideas is a very powerful means of educating.
ReplyDeleteIt's crazy how much of an influence facebook and all the other new media has on now just people around us, but all over the world. In certain parts of China, facebook is restricted! Do you think that because certain areas do not have access to such new media, that the way they communicate is different from those who do have access? The only way I believe to be different from the two is how one does not have a great of an opportunity to reconnect with old friends as opposed to those who have access to new media. Facebook just makes it easier to do so, BUT that is not to say that it is impossible to do so without it.
ReplyDelete