If I am hired at Baruch to use new media to improve the college I would probably propose more online classes for most of CIS classes. By taking this class this semester I have learned a lot about the available tools of the new media such as virtual world, wiki, blogger to name a few. In my opinion Blackboard is a good tool to have but need to be enhanced with more new media technologies.
I would probably propose for some discussion based classes to be held by utilizing virtual world especially designed second life software where everyone in that class member can create an avatar to participate in the discussion. The reason I said this is that in many classes that require class participation such as Ethic or Low classes usually only few student participate. Some of the reasons are that some students are shy or extremely cautious when speaking in class fearing they may sound unintelligent. But if the discussion is held on virtual world where the identity is secured more students would participate and improve their communication skill. I admit that this could be quite expensive.
Yes, i agree. There is a very limited amount of online classes available every semester. If Baruch can allow having more of those classes, it will make our lives much easier :)
ReplyDeleteThere definitely is a lack of online classes available at Baruch. Your suggestion makes a lot of sense to add more online classes for CIS students. It's a great idea because in most CIS classes we are learning about how computers work or the technology behind computers so we might as well be using the technology within the classroom environment.
ReplyDelete